Occasionally people contact me when they want to plant a woodland and they’re looking to meet others to join them. It could be a great way to fulfil your woodland dream as part of a small group but where do you find them? You want to be local to your woodland and so do they so I’d suggest looking for people near where you live.
Where to start looking for people to co-create a woodland on an equal basis (ie. people who can contribute financially and commit long-term to owning and managing the woodland)?
- I find my own Facebook page can be very useful for things like this, giving me access to hundreds of nearby friends-of-friends.
- If you don’t use Facebook then Nextdoor could work.
- Small Woods Association “the national organisation for woodland owners, workers and supporters”. I contacted them to ask whether they can help link people together to create new woodlands, I’ll update this post when I get a reply.
- Woodland Trust a major national charity “we want to see a UK rich in wood and trees”. I contacted them to ask whether they can help link people together to create new woodlands, I’ll update this post when I get a reply.
- Tree Planting UK a Facebook group “to share details of tree planting schemes across the UK, and to encourage group members to get out there and plant trees”
- Small Woodland Owners’ Group (SWOG) a Facebook group “For those who own and love woodlands in the UK. SWOG is free of charge, open to all and is sponsored by Woodlands.co.uk.”
- If you have other recommendations please let me know and I’ll add to this list